I decided to break this topic into two posts as to not bore you with one super long read. This is also something very important to me as it is the matter of life and death for my son. I didn’t want to leave any part of our story out in case a parent was reading this with hopes to a answer for their own child. If you didn’t read part 1, please do so before you get any further.

The nurse called us into the hallway of exam rooms. They were extremely busy that day and were running vitals in the hall before you were placed in a room. Bug had lost another two pounds over the weekend. But his cough was gone and fever was down. I thought it would be another “hi and bye”. But immediately after listening to his lungs they rushed us into the nearest exam room. There they preformed more vitals and called in a additional nurse to listen to Bugs breathing. With in minutes his doctor came in, listened to Bug and escorted us to the lab for blood draws and radiology for chest x-rays. She didn’t explain much on the way but said things weren’t normal this time.

As we sat waiting for the results of the blood tests and x-rays Hub calls. It had been the moment we had been waiting for. After two years of training I was minutes away from finding out what duty station we got.

Hub starts to tell me that I’ll never believe him when the nurse comes out to tell me Bug has full blown phenomena. I’m trying to tell Hub I need to call him back when he tells me we are moving to Hawaii. All I can do is cry. Bug barely has no fever or cough and seems otherwise his “normal” lethargic self… wait, Hawaii?

They pull us into a exam room again as his doctor starts to tell me she thinks she knows what’s wrong. Hubs is still on the line thinking I’m crying for joy about moving to paradise. So I hang up on him. Emotional overload.

Bugs doctor tells us we need to be seen by a specialist. The closets is 3 hours away. But we need to go. Now. She tells us Bugs antibodies are at 0. As in his body had no defense to fight off a common cold. Which is why we are now standing in the exam room with a diagnosed case of phenomena.

Six weeks later is when they call shocked at his bodies reaction to the test the specialist administered.

Bug was diagnosed with Hypogammaglobulinemia on March 23, 2009.


Tomorrow I will talk about his treatments {needles!}.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *